Monday, January 11, 2010

John Hardy


One of my favourite places in the world is Bali. It’s such a stunning island – the people are lovely, the food is amazing, the shopping is great and I always have a wonderful relaxing time when I go there.


One of my favourite jewellers of all time lives and works in Bali. John Hardy – a Canadian ex-pat – creates beautiful jewellery taking inspiration from the natural surroundings of the island. He uses plants, animals, stones and birds as the basis for his amazing jewellery.


I am a lucky girl – Mr Kitty bought me a beautiful limited edition John Hardy necklace for our 5th anniversary last year. It’s a stunner. The thing I like most about his jewellery is that it’s practical for everyday and that he support the local Balinese community through manufacturing on the island.


If you do get to Bali, I’d highly recommend visiting the workshop and display room. It’s not far from Ubud and the entire structure is made from bamboo, grown locally by Hardy and his team. In fact, many of the items for sale at the studio fund the regeneration of the island so when you purchase a Hardy piece, not only do you get a beautifully crafted item, you are also helping to save the planet. What could be better than that? Next on my list of purchases is the above beautiful bamboo silver bangle, the purchase of which will fund the planting of 10 bamboo trees.


For those not able to get all the way to Bali, John Hardy’s designs are available at Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, Net-A-Porter and Saks Fifth Avenue.


Kitty

No comments: