Sunday, July 25, 2010

What is beauty?


The Beautiful Chantelle from fat.mum.slim posted the other day about how women are their most beautiful at the age of 31.

It was an interesting thought. I, for one, got engaged at 31 and married at 32. Objectively (or subjectively, depending on where you stand) I think I was probably the most beautiful I have ever been on my wedding day. The reason is threefold - I had the help of an Amaaaaazing make-up artist, I was surrounded by my dearest friends and family and I was truly happy to be marrying my partner, my soul-mate, my best friend.

Thinking bout it, I honestly don't believe miserable people are beautiful. Beauty for me is so much more than having a pretty face. The people I find beautiful radiate happiness, intelligence and acceptance. They are almost all smiling and appear to be happy with who they are. Or at least accept themselves for who they are.

Taking time off from work has allowed me the time to ponder happiness. What it is, what it means. How to be happy - Kitty-Style. I am learning to embrace the change in my life and not focus on the minutiae. To think about my life more holistically. I am spending more time thinking about life in general.

I am also learning to accept who I am. I will never be stick thin or waifish and I don't want to be. But what I want to be is healthy, fit and happy, regardless of size or shape. I am investing more time in me - doing the things I love to do. I am writing more. I have taken up Pilates and Body Balance. I try to laugh more, frown less. I'm trying to surround myself with things and people I like. I've discovered that having less stress in your life helps, it makes it easier to smile.

According to the survey, women believe that as they age they become more beautiful. I think it is more about being comfortable in your own skin. The small things that bothered you when you were younger seem to matter less. Those little imperfections you used to hide and worry about now are part of who you are and you accept that. You are not just the physical embodiment of beauty, your beauty is part of who you are: intellectually, emotionally.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After some quiet contemplation over a cup of my favourite tea, I think that beauty comes from inside. It's in a smile, it comes from happiness and and acceptance of who you are. It comes from self love.

People who have these things sorted and who are happy with who they are, are to me beautiful.

Kitty

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was such a beautiful post :)

and i LOVE your wedding photos - you should post more of them.

Sydney Shop Girl said...

Fabulous post, Miss Kitty.

Thanks so much for all that you add to our lives. Food, fashion, life and strength. Not to mention, FUN!!

SSG xxx

Maxabella said...

I liked your comment on Fat Mum Slim's 'Beauty' psot so I clicked over and I was delighted to see the 'extended version' on your blog. You are so right in your assessment of beauty. I feel the same way. And, objectively, you looked utterly gorgeous on your wedding day!

Not Quite Nigella said...

Great post Kitty! Being loved makes people beautiful too I think and to be loved you need to be a beautiful person on the inside too :) Gorgeous wedding picture too!

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

Thank you all. I definitely agree with you Lorraine - having people around you who love you definitely make you more beautiful. That's why I think I was beautiful on my wedding day. Surrounded by so much love and happiness!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You were a beautiful bride, and the wedding was such a great night. You were also a stunning bridesmaid (and did a fantastic job with my makeup!)

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

Awwww, thanks Priscilla! I had such fun being your bridesmaid. You were an absolutely gorgeous bride too!

Blighty said...

Wow! Is that you on your wedding day? You look fabulous, I thought it was a model at first! You have the most beautiful skin and hair, and the dress, and the jewellery..