Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'm cheating on fashion with furniture...

As we get closer and closer to submitting our house plans to council, I naturally gravitate towards looking at funiture and homewares, at the expense I must admit of frocks and shoes. Just like Carrie in SATC2, my focus is shifting from fripperies for the closet to collectibles for the home.

I know it's hard to believe but I haven't found the spending ban to be too hard because I have been making lists of homewares I like... Saving pictures, links, looking for inspiration...

I thought I might share with you some of the fantastic things I have seen over the past week. Unfortunately most of the are from overseas websites or because of the style of our abode not many of them are likely to make it in to the final cut. It doesn't mean a girl can't dream...

An Aga

How fabulous and homely is an old fashioned Aga? And now you don't have to have a wood burner powering the stove anymore, which would be terribly impractical in the Sydney weather (apart from today when it would be very welcome - it's so drizzly and rainy out there). They now come in a range of different colours and combinations - including electric ovens and gas or induction cooktops.


I wouldn't mind a lavender one but I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing Mr Kitty of the merits. And that it will work in our modern house...


See! It can work in a modern house!


And this fabulous arrangement... Well I'm not sure what else I could say! It's simply fantastic!

Amazing Storage


Mr Kitty and I are going to have lots of storage in our house. You can never have too many cupboards and drawers. Really. I love this Mark Tuckey Storage unit and I'm thinking about getting one for either side of the fireplace. I love the wood, the oddly shaped boxes... It's just so interesting.

A leopard chaise longue


In our bedroom I want to have a fabulous piece of lounging furniture. Something comfortable I can read on but also something that looks great. What better than this faux leopard lounge? Its so gorgeous yet practical. It looks comfy... Pity it's at Neiman Marcus and they won't ship to Australia :(

A gorgeous oversized floor mirror

I adore the look of huge mirrors that stand on the floor leaning against a wall. Divine. It's such a chic look. I think it makes it look less functional and more artistic. After living with a ridiculously small mirror for the last five years or so, I am so excited about the prospect of a really large mirror in our house. Here are a few favourites from a great website that a friend of mine recommended to me:
I adore the Rococo look of this mirror and I think in a minimalist house this splash of history would work really well.

I think this plainer style mirror will work better in our modern house though. I like the beaded edge - it gives the look a little lift.

And for when you renovate the castle, this is an absolute must! How fantastic. I can just see it in a chateau in France... Bliss!

Oh well - back to more practical things like trying to get the bathroom sorted out!

Kitty

8 comments:

Maxabella said...

I like all of your ideas. How decadent would a leopard-print lounge in the bedroom be! I bit of luxury everyday.

My focus shifted from 'me' to 'home' as well and I'd much rather spend cash on the homestead these days.

Amy said...

I'd love an Aga. We had a fuel stove when I lived at home in Port Hacking. Fortunately we had a big kitchen in that house which meant that it was not the primary cooking source and was a bit of a luxury; we had another two (!!) stoves which were operative for those (many) months of the year when it was too hot to use the fuel stove. It was wonderful though - how I miss those days! xx

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

That's why I love the new style Agas, Amy! You can have an electric oven that functions exactly the same as a regular oven! Although There is something to be said for using it as a heating mechanism...

Maxabella, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is shifting the budget...

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

Oh, and Maxabella, I am definitely trying to convince Mr Kitty that the leopard chaise is a necessity...

Not Quite Nigella said...

OK it's official. I love everything in this post. Can you come and decorate our house Miss Kitty? ;)

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

It's such an eclectic bunch of items but I love them all too Lorraine! They are fab, particularly the Agas... And the Mirrors. Well, everything really! Happy to come and do your place once ours is sorted!

Forever learning said...

I love Aga's too. I will definitely have one when we move to the country.

Unknown said...

My parents in law have an original Aga, it is great for backing up to in winter to get warm. They have to turn it off over summer though. They are about to get the top re-enameled which will look great.