Monday, February 7, 2011

Kindle me happy...

I have been resisting the urge to buy an eBook reader. For a long time I was convinced they weren't really me. I love the feel of a proper book in my hands. The turning of the pages. The ability to flick back and forth through my favourite novels and re-read the best bits. I like technology but that just seems a step to far for me.

But on our most recent trip to the UK, I took 10 books. Big ones. My entire hand luggage was filled with books. I love to read so it's important for me to have enough reading material at all times. So as I struggled to get my far too heavy bag into the overhead locker I resolved that I would trade in my love of lugging books for a more practical solution.

It's taken me four months but I am ready to do it. Finally. I have taken the plunge and ordered a Kindle. I researched all the eBook readers on the market and it's the one that best suits my needs. I was tempted by the iPad but at $799 for a device with WiFi and 3G that's a bit out of my price range. You have to download a lot of free books to get back your initial investment. Sure, the iPad can do a lot more than a Kindle but if we want to watch movies when we travel, we always have a laptop. If I want to browse the internet on the move I have an iPhone... The Kindle mimics paper the best of all the eReader devices I researched and that was an important thing for me. I spend all day in front of a computer and I don't like reading on a computer screen.

So we took the plunge and ordered it this morning. I can't wait to get it.

Kitty

8 comments:

Sydney Shop Girl said...

You won't look back, Kitty!

They are the best for travelling and well priced if you only want an e-reader.

Best of luck with everything.

SSG xxx

Sydney Shop Girl blog

Cait said...

I am a complete convert to my kindle, especially for travelling. Just love it!

Not Quite Nigella said...

Oooh I'd love to hear what you think of it! I really want to get one too :D

Kate B said...

Kitty you made the right decision!
I am typing this on Mr KB iPad
It's annoying and I much prefer my Kindle!
I went to Melbourne last week and am always terrified of running out of reading material. No problem! I had 7 books to chose from including the Keith Richard bio which amazon said I couldn't download but I tried and it worked!
It does take a little bit to get used too but I'm sold.
Katebx

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

SSG - Yes, all I wanted was an eBook reader so it seemed like the best choice for me.

Cait - glad to hear you love it!

NQN - It is supposed to arrive on Friday. Will let you know how I go!!

Kate - we looked at the iPad but the reality was we are rarely without our laptops and all the things you can do on an iPad you can do on a laptop or an iphone... I like the fact the screen mimics paper. For me that's what sold it!

Semi Expat said...

Oooh very interested to see what you think, I hate running out of things to read and with one of these at my fingertips I wouldn't! X

Z said...

Look forward to reading your feedback about this. I have an iPad, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to read books on it!

Anonymous said...

I would love to own one of these, it looks quite the handy thing!