Saturday, September 3, 2011


I woke up this morning at 4.04am. That, in and of itself is not unusual - I often wake up at an early hour needing to visit the bathroom, usually because the baby likes to do a tap dancing routine on my bladder at some point during the night - you know, to keep herself entertained...

But this was no ordinary morning trip to the bathroom. I slipped out of bed and attempted to shuffle quietly into the ensuite so as not to wake Mr K. On my way in, I brushed my hand against something on the sink and it fell onto the floor. My worst suspicions were confirmed when the acrid smell of nailpolish hit my nose.

Yes - I had managed to knock a full bottle of OPI Vodka and Caviar onto the floor and it had smashed. Everywhere. I finally found the light switch and with trepidation turned it on.

My bathroom looked like a murder scene.

Cue half an hour of scrubbing on my hands and knees with a bottle and a half of acetone to try and get the polish off the floor and out of the tile grout. Lots of muttering - there may have also been a fair amount of profanity. The irony is that the polish never usually lives there. I took it out last night so I wouldn't forget to book a pedicure this week. The irony.

Finally I got back to bed only to find that between getting up and going back to bed that my side of the bed was now cold and my alarm clock had developed a weird humming noise. It has never done it before. Cue Mr K fumbling under the bed for the cord to pull it out of the wall. Five minutes later (I think - remember now there is no clock in our bedroom), my now futile attempts at sleep were again interrupted by the family of kookaburras that lives two doors down. Their cackling and calling, usually so welcome in the daylight hours, is an utter annoyance before sunrise, let me tell you.

Sleep now well and truly eluding me, I made the decision to get up. The grout is still stained a pale pink but I think I'll tackle that later. Can't bear to do it now.

I think it's time for a cup of tea.



Sydney Shop Girl said...

Oh Miss K

Can I see you one with a flooring story of my own?

We have leaky plumbing and the timber and carpet of the spare room is mildewed beyond belief. Spent yesterday with Mr SSG trying to salvage what we could.

Am hoping for LOTs of sun in the coming days to dry it all out.

SSG xxx

Sydney Shop Girl blog

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

Oh dear. My flooring issue now officially takes on second place. Such a little stain in comparison...

The good news is tomorrow is meant to be sunny and warm.

S xx

Aneets said...

Man that sounds horrible- here's to a better day ahead.
SSG it is meant to be warm for the next few days, hope it all dries out!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Not a fun start to the day at all. Hope the stains come out completely soon.

I'm convinced that the disruptive sleep during pregnancy is training for life with a newborn. Fingers crossed that Miss Kitten is a good sleeper!

KittyCate said...

Ohhh no, sounds very dramatic and messy! Hope yourself and the little Kitty are keeping well xx

Semi Expat said...

Oh no!! What a night(mare!) .... Do hope you have managed to clean it all up now. xx

Kiki Chaos said...

Oh no, I've done that and it's a horrible feeling to see that huge splatter. It's amazing how far it travels! I hope you can get the pink out of your grout.

Faux Fuchsia said...

the grout in this house is full of polish. Get used to weird waking hours. At 1st I was up several times a get used to it x