Saturday, March 9, 2013

On travel with children: they joys and challenges...

 Georgie having lunch at Cullen

I make no bones about it - having children (or in our case, a child) is the best thing that ever happened to Mr K and I. It's also the hardest thing we have ever done.

I know it's a very tiny first world problem, but the one thing I have struggled with over the last few months has been lack of - or broken - sleep. We have had a bit of a rough trot on the sleep front - what with 5 teeth (including 4 molars) coming though since mid-December (one more still to come) and three colds.


 Tiny footprints: Early morning walks at at Smiths Beach

Our trip to Western Australia was fabulous, but no picnic. Poor Georgie never settled into the time zone shift which meant for some very very early (3am) mornings for Mama and Papa. Despite that, we had a wonderful time and Georgie was on her best behaviour for much of the trip. We visited some fabulous wineries: Stella Bella, Cape Mentelle, Cullen and the always Fabulous Moss Wood (hello Erika!). All worth visiting if you are in the Margaret River vicinity, especially Moss Wood.


For us, it was the first time on holidays we really had to balance the needs of a toddler and our own desires. Our pre-baby wine region visits used to consist of 8-10 wineries a day, involved and complicated discussions with winemakers about crop yields, irrigation, vintages, oak and tannins, a quick stop for lunch and long, complex dinners.

Our trip post-baby allowed us to visit approximately two wineries per day (taking turns to alternate the baby wrangling) with a lunch in-between and a long stop at a park, duck pond or other such baby friendly activity. In some respects much more relaxing, but requires a lot more planning.

We are off to Hawaii in May. I am hoping for another, slightly more relaxing trip and that Georgie will slip a little better into the time zone. And perhaps she'll like the beaches a little better there.

Kitty 

6 comments:

Kacie said...

It is a difficult age to travel with a child. I've found under 1 easy, and over 4. In between that can be so hit and miss.

Overseas, I couldn't live without a babysitter for a few hours a day when mine are having a nap (or going to bed at night).

Heavenly Ingredients said...

I find the travel thing really hard. Travel is so important to me, but so are my kids. I really think they would rather be home, or local. I get miserable thinking about a few more years of staying in Australia all the time too.
Hope your Hawaii trip goes well. maybe change the clocks a few days before you go?????

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you did the best you could to juggle toddler interests and adult interests... particularly difficult in a wine region!! I love Margs... looking forward to revisiting at some stage! After the complications of Bali, I'm even reticent about our very short visit to Sydney on Queens' Birthday weekend (will have to email you about that!!) S xx

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

Thanks for the reminder Kacie. I need to stop being a control freak and let other people help me out. Otherwise I won't have any fun!

Heavenly Ingredients, that's a nifty idea. Will have to look into it! I have already vetoed a Europe trip this year. Mr K is walking around with a face like grumpy cat but it's no fun for me. He gets to walk up mountains while I am stuck in apartments with a toddler... How is that a holiday?

Please email Sass! We are definitely around. And if there is anything you need to make your stay easier, just let me know xx

Anonymous said...

Very kind of you :)

We are going to be located in Double Bay (my brother is insisting we stay with them although I'm quite dubious about the idea of bombarding them with 2 adults and a crazy toddler) and they've already managed to secure us a portacot and a very good stroller for our stay, which is great.

We will have to try and catch up... whether that is easiest with children or without, remains to be seen. However, we have a few months to plan things, so I will get in touch!

PS: didn't comment but saw your FB status about new jewellery designs afoot. Please share/keep us up-to-date on the blog... I have to live vicariously through you for beautiful jewellery purchases/commissions!

Anonymous said...

Very kind of you :)

We are going to be located in Double Bay (my brother is insisting we stay with them although I'm quite dubious about the idea of bombarding them with 2 adults and a crazy toddler) and they've already managed to secure us a portacot and a very good stroller for our stay, which is great.

We will have to try and catch up... whether that is easiest with children or without, remains to be seen. However, we have a few months to plan things, so I will get in touch!

PS: didn't comment but saw your FB status about new jewellery designs afoot. Please share/keep us up-to-date on the blog... I have to live vicariously through you for beautiful jewellery purchases/commissions!