Monday, March 29, 2010

Going shopping with Miss Kitty...

Last Thursday I went shopping. Well, I went LOOKING and trying on, with no real intention of buying. Not that I wasn't going to buy but I didn't have the intention, you see. There is a distinct difference.

Anyway, as per usual I found myself at the Strand Arcade Branch of Leona Edmiston. I was looking at the Tara - a beautiful but sadly for me, impractical dress - but managed to walk out instead with these two beauties:

The Carly from the Leona (or Diffusion) line is a dress I wouldn't normally look at. It's navy - with colourful lines across it. It breaks all my fashion rules (it's not black! There are horizontal lines!) but when I put it on, I felt like a 1960's retro princess. A modern version, of course! And it was a bargain at $129.
The Carla (wow - they even almost have the same name) from the Frocks Collection isn't something I would normally look at either. It's black, granted, but it has no waist and it's made of wool, not the stretchy fabrics that I usually gravitate towards. It does have some stretch in it, but it's not thekind of dress I would normally look twice at. However, the lovely sales assistant suggested it as a dress I should try on, and boy am I glad I did.

On first impressions, it does look a bit shapeless, but once you start moving, you can understand the beauty of this dress. The weight of the wool makes it beautifully swishy and the cut means it can be dressed up or down with ease. And although I thought it would be a bit too short on me, the length actually make my legs look reeeeally long. The raffia brooch is detachable and this dress would look fantastic with heels in the office or with opaque stockings and boots on the weekend, for a more casual look.

This dress was significantly more than the other one. But if you average them out it's not too bad...

So - two more dresses to add to my ever expanding collection. Now all I have to do is wait for it to get cool enough to wear them!

Kitty xx

4 comments:

missklicious said...

Such pretty purchases! It's always when you don't intend on buying anything or on a spending ban that you find all the gorgeous must have pieces!

Not Quite Nigella said...

Gorgeous purchases! I like the second one too and hehe at the average of two dresses evening them out! I like your logic! ;)

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

My logic is fool-proof NQN! And I really think I am going to get a lot of wear out of both of them! And I agree missklicious - it's always when you aren't specifically looking that you find the best things.

Sydney Shop Girl said...

I love both dresses!

Like the price averaging concept too :-)

SSG xxx